• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

DHS reverses decision to suspend TSA PreCheck and Global Entry due to shutdown

0:19
TSA precheck to remain open
Nam Y. Huh/AP
ByAyesha Ali and Luke Barr
February 22, 2026, 11:41 PM

The Department of Homeland Security has abruptly reversed a decision to temporarily suspend the Transportation Security Administration's PreCheck and Global Entry programs due to what the agency described as a lapse in funding.

Less than a day after the suspension order was announced by DHS Secretary Kristi Noem, the TSA said that PreCheck at the nation's airports will remain open.

"At this time, TSA PreCheck remains operational with no change for the traveling public. As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case-by-case basis and adjust operations accordingly," a TSA spokesperson said in a statement to ABC. 

PHOTO: Homeland Security Air Travel
Travelers wait in line to check in at a security checkpoint area at O'Hare International Airport, in Chicago, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026.
Nam Y. Huh/AP

The TSA added that courtesy escorts for members of Congress have been suspended and that those resources "can be directed towards keeping the flying public safe." 

For a few hours on Sunday morning, several airports, including Los Angeles International Airport and St. Louis Lambert International Airport, reported TSA PreCheck closures.

Sources familiar with the issue told ABC News that airports are now being advised by the TSA that they can keep their precheck lanes open if they have enough staffing. 

By Sunday night, Global Entry was suspended at some airports across the country and in Canada, including Boston Logan International Airport, Austin-Bergstrom International Airport and Vancouver International Airport.

Earlier Sunday, Noem released a statement saying that the precheck service was being temporarily suspended.

"TSA and CBP are prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry and suspending courtesy and special privilege escorts," Noem said in a statement. 

The two programs, which allow expedited clearance processes for pre-vetted domestic and international travelers, were expected to be suspended starting at 6 a.m. ET Sunday, according to a DHS official. 

Related Articles

Democrats, White House still far from DHS funding deal amid standoff over ICE

The initial plan called for DHS personnel assigned to these programs to be redirected to assist the broader traveling public, as travelers braced for longer lines to clear security.

The decision to suspend the programs came as an anticipated winter storm had already prompted the cancelation of more than 7,000 flights across the country. The decision and its quick reversal also comes just weeks before the spring break travel rush. 

In addition, Noem also announced that the Federal Emergency Management Agency will also halt "all non-disaster related response to prioritize disasters," underscoring the impact of the upcoming winter storm.

Related Articles

Partial government shutdown hits DHS: What to know about negotiations, potential impacts

Before the decision to suspend the PreCheck program was reversed, a ranking member on the House Homeland Security Committee, Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson, immediately blasted the move.

"This is Trump and Kristi Noem purposely punishing the American people and using them as pawns for their sadistic political games," Thompson said in a statement. "TSA PreCheck and Global Entry REDUCE airport lines and ease the burden on DHS staff who are working without pay because of Trump's abuse of the Department and killing of American citizens," he said. 

"Trump and Kristi are making your lives harder -- and your travel less safe -- all on purpose because they know you don't trust them. They pulled these games with FEMA disaster response last week, now this madness. They would rather force Americans to miss their travel waiting in long lines at the airport than stop Trump's secret police from shooting our neighbors."

U.S. Travel, a non-profit organization that represents the nation's travel industry also expressed its "disappointment" and criticized the move in a post on X writing, "Travelers should be prioritized, not leveraged. Travel is the gateway to the American economy and Americans should not have their mobility, security or travel experience diminished because elected leaders fail to resolve their differences." 

The temporary suspension was first reported by the Washington Post. 

Up Next in News—

Father, daughter speak after Lyft driver is accused of using AI-generated image for damage claim

May 20, 2026

Police officer speaks out after rescuing choking toddler in incident caught on camera

May 20, 2026

Google DeepMind CEO says AI could unlock breakthroughs in medicine, energy and more

May 20, 2026

2 suspects identified in stunt at enclosure of viral monkey Punch

May 19, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 

© 2026 ABC News