• Video
  • Shop
  • Culture
  • Family
  • Wellness
  • Food
  • Living
  • Style
  • Travel
  • News
  • Book Club
  • Newsletter
  • Privacy Policy
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • Terms of Use
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Contact Us
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts
  • © 2026 ABC News
  • News

Dan Marino to withdraw from lawsuit

ByESPN.com news services
June 03, 2014, 6:21 PM

— -- Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino intends to withdraw from a concussion-related lawsuit against the NFL, according to a report by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Marino, 52, was one of 15 players who filed a lawsuit in federal court in Philadelphia last week. The plaintiffs joined more than 4,800 others who have alleged that the NFL misled players about the long-term dangers of concussions. The league has denied those claims.

The newspaper, citing a source, said the Miami Dolphins legend and his lawyers will be in discussions to withdraw from the lawsuit.

"It was never Marino's intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits. They are working to correct the error," a source told the Sun-Sentinel.

Marino and his lawyers are attempting to discover how Marino's name was joined to the lawsuit, according to the report.

The lawsuit doesn't specify any medical problems suffered by the plaintiffs, including Marino, who retired in 1999. It seeks unspecified damages and medical monitoring.

The NFL and the original group of players agreed on a $765 million settlement in August 2013. But the settlement was rejected by a federal judge in January.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Up Next in News—

Lindsay Clancy jury sent home for the day due to 'unforeseen circumstance'

August 19, 2026

'She was begging for help': Lindsay Clancy's former mother-in-law testifies

August 18, 2026

Opening statements in Meta's latest social media addiction trial begin

August 18, 2026

Lindsay Clancy's mom and sister testify, describe her as a 'loving mother'

August 17, 2026

Shop GMA Favorites

ABC will receive a commission for purchases made through these links.

Sponsored Content by Taboola

The latest lifestyle and entertainment news and inspiration for how to live your best life - all from Good Morning America.
  • Contests
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Do Not Sell My Info
  • Children’s Online Privacy Policy
  • Advertise with us
  • Your US State Privacy Rights
  • Interest-Based Ads
  • About Nielsen Measurement
  • Press
  • Feedback
  • Shop FAQs
  • ABC News
  • ABC
  • All Videos
  • All Topics
  • Sitemap
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts

© 2026 ABC News
  • Privacy Policy— 
  • Your US State Privacy Rights— 
  • Children's Online Privacy Policy— 
  • Interest-Based Ads— 
  • Terms of Use— 
  • Do Not Sell My Info— 
  • Contact Us— 
  • Recalls and Product Safety Alerts— 

© 2026 ABC News